Monday, April 27, 2009

Perfect Patient

So, the GI surgical team thinks I am a rock star. Okay, okay....fine, fine, that's a slight exaggeration, but they are all highly impressed with my beauty and recovery. FINE! Another exaggeration...just my recovery.

I have been having bms (not a nice consistency or anything) but nonetheless things have been MOVING since late last night. The surgical team said my recovery mimics that of a laproscopic surgery and my surgeon will be visiting me tomorrow bright and early and may clear me to go home! They also took me off of my IV pain meds and I've been holding steady on pills, and are impressed that I've been handling real food well all day. (Although things have been loudly gurgling and I've been going to the bathroom often.) This is normal. My surgeon thinks my small intestine was like a bottleneck and things were getting blocked up there. Now, that it's removed, things will be traveling faster and hopefully (fingers crossed) the pain will abate. (Although I hope not too fast - I really don't want to start the Crohn's bathroom runs again!)

Of course, it's still very slow going getting up, and when I have to cough I go in full "hunker down" mode. I just reached far for my laptop and my incision is stinging, and I'm tired and can only read for so long. But...I feel great! I'm looking forward to a few weeks on the couch enjoying some pain-free reading, Oprah and Ellen watching, and, of course, blogging!

Thank you to Leigh Ann and Kate for visiting me in my luxe hospital suite and bringing the type of high-brow reading I adore (e.g. "Are you there, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.")!

4 comments:

  1. Rockstar! That is so awesome! Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of my body! ;-)

    (For the first time in a long time.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a Rockstar and look fab! I'm so glad we got to visit and yes I was quite impressed with the Room Service menu, private room, visiting Dog named Patty and of course meeting Yo Mama! We love you Kathryn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anonymous! Anyone who can successfully lie through their teeth and tell me I look "fab" surely gets my vote!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete