Monday, July 27, 2009

Hummus is among us

The hummus took Matt to heavenly new heights.

I remember my mom making hummus back in the 90's. That was considering culinary cutting-edge (I mean, a lot of folks didn't know what hummus was), and now look at it! Hummus surely had a good PR person. Lazing around on Saturday afternoon (after my gym visit, ha ha, and Matt's regular Saturday morning badminton group, double ha ha), I thought we needed some pep. Some protein! And some lip-smackin' goodness.

I whipped out my food processor, some pita, and went to work. I decided to make roasted red pepper hummus and give my boring old pita a jolt. Usually I make my hummus with cumin and accent it with cilantro, but this is a very tasty basil-infused alternative, and can be made in 10 minutes flat using a food processor for both recipes (with no washing in between!).

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Rustic Pita Chips
For the pita:
  • 1/3 cup basil leaves
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 package pita bread
  • salt and pepper, dash
Cut pita bread into small triangles or, if mini pitas, half moons. (I keep the pita double-sided for extra thickness, and most definitely due to some laziness.) In a food processor, pulse garlic and basil for a few seconds and then add the olive oil and salt and pepper. Brush onto pita and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes (watch it) or until crispy at 400 degrees.

This is them right before they go in the oven. I just started dipping them in the olive oil mixture and eating them, right then and there. Oops.

For the hummus:


  • 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
  • 1/3 cup tahini paste
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup roasted red pepper (I just used the ones in the jar.)
While the pita is baking, add all the hummus ingredients to the food processor except for the roasted red pepper, and pulse until smooth. Then add the pepper and pulse again until smooth. If necessary, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with extra basil and serve with pita chips.

Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment