So my mother would not shut-up about her African Peanut Soup. African Peanut Soup this, and African Peanut Soup that. Just when I thought she was done with her soup stories, she visits with the soup recipe in hand. There is no stopping this woman!
In honor of my mother, I present African Peanut Soup. I didn't want to love it (I mean, the main ingredient is peanut butter....in a soup!), but it was delicious. Matt agrees and today were were planning to have yesterday's leftovers. The whole time he kept saying, "Is it African Peanut Soup time yet?" I think we both just like saying African Peanut Soup.
We doubled the recipe and had enough soup for a few meals (and we're big eaters) because you eat this soup with rice. Something that's a bit different but delicious and supremely satisfying? I give you....yes.....you know what's coming...what for it....AFRICAN PEANUT SOUP!
African Peanut Soup
- 2 T. oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T. grated ginger
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (Note: We used a bit less broth.)
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (Note: We used crunchy. Take that, mom! We also doubled this recipe but only used about 1 1/3 cup peanut butter....I mean, that stuff is caloric!!)
- 2 cups chopped kale or sliced okra
- 1/2 to 1 pound raw shrimp, coarsely chopped or chicken breast, diced fine (Note: For a double recipe, we used two chicken breasts.)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts for garnish
- chopped fresh hot peppers or hot sauce, for garnish (Note: If you're not a Crohnie, that is...)
I'm only including this photo because I loved the colors. I never thought I could love orange this way!