Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The quinoa that never quits


I CANNOT STOP THE QUINOA MADNESS! I had made too much quinoa the other day (what can I say, I was intoxicated with all it's loveliness) and decided to, once again, hit my fridge for produce odds and ends. I added a can of chick peas to up the protein quotient, and ate it sprinkled with Parmesan cheese (of course). I think this would be great with a salmon fillet nestled on top (okay, okay, that's what I had the NEXT DAY. Like I said, this quinoa doesn't quit.) Serve hot.

"I just got home and I'm hungry and oh, look, we have more quinoa!" Dish
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups water (plus dash salt)
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil
  • 2 Tbs. Italian seasoning
  • 1 Tb. dried oregano
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 container sliced baby portobella mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced peppers (baby bell or red/orange bell peppers...one of the sweater varieties)
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1 15-ounce can chick peas, liquid drained
  • 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, most liquid drained
  • 1 box of frozen spinach, microwaved
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Boil water and add dash salt and quinoa. Turn to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until soft. Meanwhile, saute all ingredients in olive oil until soft. Add quinoa and add salt and pepper to taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Sprinkle with Parm cheese. Serve as a truly stellar alternative to rice, or even as a main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment