Sunday, November 22, 2009

Roasted Veggie Lasagna

I try to stay away from cheese-tastic dishes for obvious reasons, but once in a while a girl just wants lasagna. Matt and I have been making a concerted effort to eat much less - if any - meat, so this is a roasted veggie version, adapted from allrecipes.com. (Actually, Matt isn't so on-board with the no meat thing, and he told me - with devilish delight - that he opted for the filet mignon over the pasta primavera for his holiday work party. He then laughed sadistically and ran away, screeching, "Men like meat!!!")

So, anyway, when I was at the doctor last week, I was weighed, which used to be an emotionally-wrought 30 seconds, until I began barking to the poor nurse/medical assistant to not tell me what I weigh. This time I looked: I was going to the gym, my golly! Well, I had gained five more pounds from a few weeks ago. Oops! I would like to attribute it to "more muscle" (hardy har har) but then I thought about this lasagna I had just made, and those Illini Bars.

I told myself "no more lasagna! no more sweets!" but by the time I got home I was re-heating these yummy leftovers. So much for will power.

Enjoy!

Roasted Veggie Lasagna
  • 1 pound eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
  • 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • 3 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
  • 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (15 ounce) container reduced-fat ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute
  • 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
  • 12 no-boil lasagna noodles (1 package)
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • chopped fresh basil (optional)

Directions

  1. Coat two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans with nonstick cooking spray. Place eggplant and mushrooms on a prepared pan. Place the zucchini and pepper on the second pan. Combine the oil and garlic; brush over both sides of vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Turn vegetables over. Bake 15 minutes longer.
  2. Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg. Spread about 1/4 cup pasta sauce in a 13x9 baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Layer with four lasagna noodles (noodles will overlap), half of ricotta cheese mixture, half of vegetables, a third of pasta sauce and 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese (sprinkle basil, if using). Repeat layers. Top with the remaining noodles and pasta sauce.
  3. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Check out those...knife skills.


Those zucchinis sort of look like eels.


Like you wouldn't eat the leftovers, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment