Monday, October 18, 2010

Chocolate Bundt Cake


This evening I took a picture of this slice of cake. I would have photographed the whole cake, but I ate it. That's just what I do. I cannot be trusted with cake.

When Matt saw there was only one slice left, but was going out to play basketball with his brother, he weighed (fo' real, y'all) the slice of cake to MAKE CERTAIN I did not touch it and eat a single crumb. I thought this was particularly cruel because we had just bought the kitchen scale last week, and this (THIS!) was not what I had intended. My own kitchen gadgets betray me.

The slice of cake is sitting in the kitchen as I type this. I've realized I'm capable of lustful thoughts for desserts, and this concerns me as it's the only thing that has gotten my blood boilin' recently. But you would be this desperate if you had this cake. It's a wonderful cake for many reasons, one of them being it takes five minutes to make because it's not from scratch. I'm not a terribly adept baker, so Betty Crocker often helps an old girl out. I also like this cake because it's delicious: much more so even the next day as it gets fudgier and moister. Positively delightful with a tall, cold glass of milk. Swoon.

Moist (as all heck) Chocolate Bundt Cake
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 3.5 oz chocolate instant pudding mix
  • 1 container (aka 2 cups) sour cream (I know, I know...but it's soooo worth it!)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup veggie oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips - your call)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Beat all ingredients (except chocolate chips) until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into bundt pan. Bake for 50 miutes to 1 hour. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like Mom's chocolate cake, the one she puts vanilla frosting on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw, it's not that cake; that's the one in the 13 x 9 pan with the cooked buttercream frosting, but it's very similar to the bundt cake I make with the chocolate glaze. I use less sour cream. Now, on this cake, do you use the chocolate cake mix with pudding in the mix, or without? MONG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's magic is equally magical.

    I didn't use the cake mix with pudding in it, but I guess that would be smart, eh?!?! I just used Devil's Food.

    I also used reduced fat/calore sour cream. I'm wondering if you could sub a bit of yogurt for the sour cream?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using a cake mix with pudding in it, plus adding pudding mix, may affect the texture of the cake and make it too heavy--and sink upon cooling! So I guess I wouldn't mess with what is a sure thing. And I think some yogurt would work, try maybe a half cup next time, and let us know. MONG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll use greek yogurt, that stuff is thick and creamy!

    ReplyDelete