Thursday, February 19, 2009

Avocado Salsa - The Sophisticated Sister of Guacamole

Mexican is big in the Hopkins household. I even mentioned my husband's penchant for twice-weekly enchiladas in my wedding vows. So, it's only natural that we are ardent fans of the avocado. Below is my favorite rendition of guacamole - it's not your traditional smooth and creamy variety, but a fresh and zesty chunky melding of summertime flavors: fresh tomatoes, cilantro, lemon and, and of course the star of the show, the avocado. (It's super-excellent on fish tacos, fresh from the grill.)

And now, a little reprieve from these wintertime blues, I present:

Avocado Salsa

- 2 ripe avocados, diced in 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 tomatoes, diced in 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, stems discarded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice (or lime juice, and please, none of that preserved stuff in the fake plastic lemon)
- salt and pepper to taste

If you're a garlic lover (as we are - breath be damned!), feel free to add, but I recommend trying once without it. Most important thing: quality ingredients (I know the tomatoes during this time of year may present a challenge).

No comments:

Post a Comment