Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Let them eat dirt!

I never understood why mothers made you put antibacterial stuff on your hands before handling their baby. Maybe I shouldn't comment -- I obviously don't have a baby. But I always thought it was counter-productive and sort of foolish- germs are good for kids! You have to build up the immune system while they're young! Again, maybe I should shut my mouth; my immune is totally out of whack since I have an autoimmune disorder, but I swear I was an incredibly gross and dirty child.

Check this out:

NYT
Babies Know: A Little Dirt Is Good for You
********************************************
The hygiene hypothesis suggests that organisms that enter the body along with “dirt” spur the development of a healthy immune system.

4 comments:

  1. so does this mean that you have to start eating worms????

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably too late for you, you old fart. :-) Your immune system is fully formed.

    But it's good to get those babies in the diggin' in the dirt and picking their noses and all of that fun stuff!!

    Actually, my friend at work saw this (HI LEIGH ANN!) and said she didn't agree and then we had a quasi-argument on washing your hands before you handle babies. Actually, everyone sided with her and now I think folks in the office just think I'm dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I should really re-read what I post...."babies in the diggin' in the dirt"....yowza...

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, im definitely with you. i dont think you need to wash your hands every single time you handle a baby. Most people dont just because if a baby is crying, you wont take the time to wash your hands before picking him/her up.

    ReplyDelete