Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fun with Falafel


Do you know what I love? Falafel. I have very fond memories of buying $2 falafel sandwiches on McDougal street in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village during college. Two things: first, they’re delicious little fried chickpea darlings, and two, they’re cheap. I’m a simple girl with simple needs, and cheap food is really all it takes.

I was working from home during a February snowstorm, and while normal people fix themselves a bowl of soup or a sandwich during their lunch break, I was smacking my lips to the sound of fryin’ falafel. I saw a simple recipe in Bon Appetit and was foaming at the bit to give it a go. (Oh, have I mentioned? With truffles and meringue in my eyes, I went a little crazy on Amazon a few months back and subscribed to no less than four foodie periodicals. Yes – gastrointestinal oye.)

Matt and I slapped these babies in a pita with tahini dressing, greens and tomatoes for lunch, and for dinner had them atop a salad. He recently asked when “I” was going to make them again. All he got was a raised eyebrow.

Falafel
(from Bon Appetit magazine)

  • 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3 tablespoons all purpose flour plus more for dredging
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt-free garlic pepper spice blend
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons (packed) chopped
  • fresh Italian parsley
  • Vegetable oil (for frying)
  • Purchased hummus
  • Puree canned garbanzo beans, chopped onion, 3 tablespoons all purpose flour, garlic pepper spice blend, ground cumin, baking powder, and salt in processor until coarse puree forms. Add chopped Italian parsley; process just to blend. Generously sprinkle plate with all purpose flour. Roll level tablespoonfuls garbanzo bean mixture into balls; transfer balls to plate. Roll falafel in flour to coat generously; flatten balls slightly.
  • Pour enough vegetable oil into heavy large skillet to reach depth of 1/2 inch. Heat oil to 375°F. Working in 2 batches, fry falafel patties until deep brown, turning once, about 3 minutes. Transfer falafel patties to paper towels to drain. Serve falafel with hummus.

This is called an assembly line.
I'm sort of in love with the Trader Joe's flour bag. And that my food processor is overflowing (I never just make a single recipe - never!)
Crunchy munchy.



2 comments:

  1. 1. food processor overflowing with nothing but chickpea and herbs = amazing. i haven't been able to eat falafel in the US since i had it in Israel 3 years ago (not that i could this year even if i wanted to); maybe if i make it myself it will be more authentic tasting. but likely not.

    2. foodie periodicals?? which? where? you must not tease like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My falafel is probably the furthest thing from real, Middle Eastern falafel (probably the same with my hummus) but it's all delicious to me!!

    I got Vegetarian Times for Christmas, and then went on a rampage and subscribed to the following: Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, and Eating Well (and I'm sure there's one I'm forgetting...it's a disgrace!!!).

    ReplyDelete